• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

EGT STC Anyone?

Rick S

Moorestown, NJ
I have applied with the FAA for Field Approval for the addition of a Westach 4 cyllinder EGT system to my Super Cub. The feds want to know if (1) there is an STC for an EGT system on a Super Cub and (2) in particular, one for a Westach system. I have researched their STC database and found nothing. Anyone know of one? Thanks in advance.

STCNumber SA2350NM
Manufacturer PIPER
MakeModel PA-18 Series
TCNumber 1A2
Description Installation of Electronics International digital EGT/CHT instruments and accessories.
Status Amended 5/24/88
ACO NM-S
STCHolder Electronics International
5289 Elam Young Pkwy #G200
Hillsboro OREGON 97124 UNITED STATES

Check with JPI as I think there scanners are STC'd for the PA18 as well. My personal opinion of westtack gages, especially there probes are they aren't worth the time it takes to install them!

Alcor, JPI, EI, are all TSO'd and they hold up quite well.

Tim

KS Avionics Mixture Mixer II with a 337

I recently had Tim Boughner at WN13 install a KS Avionics Mixture Mizer II CHT/EGT in my '79 PA-18. When I bought the unit from the very nice (but maybe a tiny bit dotty) folks at KS Avionics (http://www.ksavionics.com/), they told me it came with an STC. It turns out that STC is applicable to a unit that has two separate guages, rather than a single guage and a switch, as does the unit I've got. However, the installation was similar enough so that the local FSDO issued a 337 without any fuss when Tim wrote up the installation referencing the STC.

I really like the guage. It's analog electronic, not digital, and very sensitive. If you want to fiddle with the rates for the alarm blinker (factory set at 40 degrees/min), you can, but out of the box it seems to work just fine. I did bench test mine prior to installation, but that was really a waste of time. It also cost about a third of what one of the fancy logging multi-channel digital units (JPI) will run. Works great.

I have a scanner, and I'd be happy to make copies of my 337 paperwork available. Is there a place to upload stuff like that?

Back