• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Over heating oil temp

iylsupercub

I've just replaced my 320 a2b with a 160hp 320 b2b and after 50 hrs I'm having the oil temp run at 230-235 :-? degrees on a 60 degree outside temp on cruise at 2400 rpm @ 5000 ft. I've put the oil cooler in the back and have the extention under the cowling for the STC from the Alaska and closed off the cowl hole with the winter cover as per the STC. I'd be in big trouble on an 80 degree day on a long climb out. I'm on floats but had the same problem on wheels. Any suggestions? Bob Long

OIL TEMP

I have the same engine in my cub. The oil temp is normal 185°, however my CHT runs hot; up to 475°. What kind of CHT are you getting?

Thanks Roy, My CHT is not more than 375 -400 degrees, I checked it with boiling water and it was reading 40 -50 degrees high. Sometimes I get a 425 reading on a long climb out. The cylinders seem to have settled down now that break-in is over. It seem we may have the opposite problems? Bob

oil cooler temp

Bob.....I have an installation similar to yours. My oil temps basically run quite low ( 140-150 winter months) and so far this spring it's been running about 160-170. These temps are lower than the old front mounted cooler. I verified that the temp probe was accurate when I installed the engine.....you might try this if you haven't already.

I have a 0320 160 hp and run around 100 - 110 over out side air temp. Oil cooler in the front, Niagra 20377A, no cooling lip. No egt/cht. No vernatherm. Im running around 20 degrees cooler than a 150 with the original oil cooler. Sounds to me like your oil cooler maybe to small or its not circulating properly.

propellor?

I shrouded my (front) oil cooler and took 10-15 F off the oil temp.....also, which prop are you using? I took differential pressure readings across my engine, and an otherwise identical cub, got 4 in(H2O) with a Sensenich and 2.8 with my Borer. (at 100mph indicated) . CHT info is waiting on calibration of the CHT gage on the second aircraft. Experiments are in progress, check my post and future notes on the CHT section.....

Back