• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Static RPM w/Borer Prop

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
I have a friends 150hp Super Cub in the shop with a Borer prop. The tach went south so I had it OH'd and now he doesn't think the RPM is turning up as high as it should. He said it gets 2300rpm static. I got 2300 on roll out and 2400 when I picked up the tail. I'm going to check it tommorrow with a digital prop tach. What rpm do you guys get with this prop?

Thanks.

Steve Pierce

Checked the tach and its accurate. 2300 static and about 2400 on climb out. Anybody give know if this is about right. It was about 80 degrees outside.

Steve Pierce

Thanks. I checked the CC STC which is on this A/C and it calls for 2350-2450 static. I guess that is close enough for a standard day. I didn't realize others had an STC for the Borer prop. That is good to know.

Steve Pierce

Sorry I forgot to get back to this one, 2300 sounds OK for the temp, I useually see a little more than that with a 41, but it's not that hot very often.

I have a 82x41 Borer on a stock 150hp and at 70° at sealevel I turn 2350static and 2450 on climb out.
I do have a question though.
What is the preformance differnce from the 41 pitch to the 44 pitch on a stock 150 hp Cub.
Thanks
Mark

41 inch prop will probably get you off the ground a little quicker and hold you in a tight turn at low a/s a little better, but it will drag ass on a hot day. 44 will keep your tail up a little better and get a little better cruise speed. Numbers are irrelevant, just depends on what your cub does now in relation.

Thanks for the info.
I think I will keep my 41 pitch, It's not like my Cub will ever be fast!!!
Although I've hade a few trips that I would have liked about double the air speed.
Fly safe
Mark

Heck Mark, if you put a notch of flaps down you can fly in the truck lane with the Freightliner.

See ya tomorrow!

Tim

Back