• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Toe Brakes from Hell

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Does anybody else have a PA18 with toe brakes? My PA18-105-SP has the shortest little rudder pedals in the back that it is almost impossible to hit the rudder without engaging the brake. I take that back. It IS impossible if you have feet at the end of your legs. Since the cylinders are in back, I don't see a way to adjust this to get rid of the problem.

Someone indicated that these brakes may be stock in that airplane that all the "T" models (N197T) had them. Fact? Fiction? HAAALP!

:cry:

sj

I know this doesn?t help you with your problem, but I can?t resist this opportunity to add some more confusion to this whole ?T=toe brakes? thing. A couple of weeks ago I looked at N177T and guess what?heel brakes! Go figure. :roll:

Lots of the toe brake Cubs have been converted to heels, mostly because you have to when adding flaps, (to make room for the flap lever). The originals had a very different rear floorboard, kind of a pan type thing just behind the rear petals that allowed your feet to sit lower on the petals. SJ, do you still have the pan? Maybe someone put stock boards in yours. If you do still have the pan, maybe a extention on the lower part of the petal would help.

PS, If you have a 105SP with a "T" N#, and trace back the records, it was probably one of the CAP Cubs, and yes, they were all ordered with toe brakes. I'll show you some pics of originals SJ.

I do have a 105 SP and I have the original CAP logbooks showing all the flight training and rescue sorties that were flown in it. All logged by a guy with impeccable handwriting.

Based on that, I proably don't have the "plate", eh?

Thanks for the info!

sj

Next topic: How hard (expensive) of a job is it to convert a 105 SP back to heel brakes?

sj

I don't remember if the 105SP's have the fuselage tabs installed for the Scott master cylinders, if I had to guess, I'd say they probably aren't there. You'd have to uncover the belly and pull the floorboards to weld them in... Plus buy the Scotts of course, (not cheap), plus rudder and brake petals, clamps and hardware to hold them in. I'd probably wait till recover time.

Piper has a blue print to install flaps in a toe brake super cub. The handle is located ahead and below the fuel selector. Really a neat set up. Theres no reason you couldnt do it in a standard PA18. The nice thing about it it is easier to reach because its not on the floor and doesnt hit your leg in a crosswind landing. My friend has a 105 Special with this done to it and I will try to get a picture of it this week and post it in the photo galley.

Steve, I posted a few pictures in the pic section of the flap handle installation in a PA18 105 Special.

Re: Toe Brakes from

steve said:
Does anybody else have a PA18 with toe brakes? My PA18-105-SP has the shortest little rudder pedals in the back that it is almost impossible to hit the rudder without engaging the brake. I take that back. It IS impossible if you have feet at the end of your legs. Since the cylinders are in back, I don't see a way to adjust this to get rid of the problem.

Someone indicated that these brakes may be stock in that airplane that all the "T" models (N197T) had them. Fact? Fiction? HAAALP!

:cry:

sj
I KNOW IT'S A PAIN , BUT YOU MIGHT WANT TO KEEP THE AIRPLANE ORIGINAL,THER AIN'T MANY OF THEM AROUND. :( pk.
[/quote]

I understand, but it was already far from "original" when I bought it. 135hp engine, etc, etc, etc,...

Back