• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub Rebuild C90 or O-320?

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
I have an L18C project that I purchased 3 yrs. ago for $9,500, perfect fuselage, all the parts are there except for some of the rudder pedal brackets. The wing ribs are pretty bad from being moved around plus they need new leading and trailing edges. I bought a first run C-90-12 off of a Cessna 140 for $2500. I also have a first run O-320 core. I have been debating whether to rebuild the A/C with the C-90 or make all the mods to the fuselage, wings and firewall forward and use the O-320. I fly an L18c w/C-90 and it is really a sweet flying airplane. I recently did several mods to a PA18-150 and got to fly it quite a bit and what a performer. Put the light weight battery, Sky-Tec starter, B&C 40 amp alternator and removed a bunch of old heavy radios. It lost 69 lbs and you could tell by the way it flew. I guess my question is is it worth it to modify from the Cont to the Lyc. or is it more economical to sell the project and get a Lyc. Super Cub? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Pierce

If it were me I'd keep it a 90. I'd rebuild it as light as possible for just me, my shotgun or fishing pole. The advantage is you have more range and less operating cost. Additionally, converting it to a 150 is a lot of extra work in time and paperwork. I would sell off the 90 when I wanted a 150. Sounds like you have a knack for finding a deal.pak

I wonder if it would be worthwile to convert the C-90 to an 0-200?
Also what paperwork or STC is available?
Scott Marrs

I had my C-85 rebuilt to an 0-200, it's in a J-3 on floats. It made quite a difference in performance and load carrying, I've got an 18 gallon wing tank in addition to the main so it helps with full fuel and the floats add a little weight too. I'd like to fly it on wheels sometime to see how it handles.

Don Swords in Griffin GA. holds the STC's to do the conversion, and he does a very good job. That might be a good way to go instead of the whole process of going to a 150hp.

Does anyone know what is required to go up from the 90hp to 135hp? That would make a good difference, and maybe the modifications are less.

In response to question of up-grading from C-95 to Lyc 135 . . I've just done that. If your looking for the lowest cost . . stay with the 90 and don't try gross out of short strips. If you know your plane . . . a 90 can do alot. Ours is a 1959 bought in 1964 by my father. I got it in 76'. It will be alittle cheaper to do the 135 v.s 150, as far as airframe . . but may not be if your going to major the 135. For the 135 you will need to change: boot cowl . . which means windshield, side-bottom-top & nose bowl. IF you leave the tail feathers standard (95") you must placecard "NO INTENTIONAL SPINS", Most as I will go with the "air" balanced elevators. The "Big bucks" come in the engine dept. Your exhust system must be replaced as well as engine mount, carb, air box, baffeling and prop. If you can get a "package deal" of firewall forward as I did it will take some of the "sting" out. But if your going to major the 135 and it needs basic things like a cam ($1,700-new) or worst and crank ($2,900) or jugs . if you can find them . . the overhaul on the 95" will look cheap. In the long run if you replace all the metal work on the 95" to look good . . it will be close to the same for both. You can do all on the 135 upgrade w/337 field approval as per Piper data sheets. But "legal" gross will be 1,500 lbs. To go to 1,750 you will need flaps, hydra sorbs and possibly a few pieces welded in the fuselage (& 105 Specials) So now you have the same as needed to go to the 150 or 160. It's all what you need (want) and how deep your pockets are. As long as it is a Super Cub . . it'l be great!!!

Back