• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Third Seat

Todd C

Tulsa OK
Can someone describe this modification to me? Does the seat face to the rear of the plane? A picture would be nice! Thanks!!

I've spoken with Atlee Dodge and a few others who've told me that the third seat is really the 180lb baggage mod with tabs for a seatbelt. No real seat frame, etc. is installed.
They also, put in a skinnier rear seat back so the third passenger has some room for their legs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rick Sanson on 2002-02-11 10:50 ]</font>

Last fall I put a 200 lbs guy in my 3rd seat and a 210 lbs guy in my rear seat just to see what the plane would fly like and it did just fine. Had plenty of trim so I could of loaded up the ext baggage also. Only had about 100 lbs of gas.

Third Seat Conversion

I have a new Airframes Inc. PA-18 fuselage in my hanger that has this mod. It is basically an X ed bottom rear baggage floor and welded seat belt tabs where the dog leg cluster welds to the lower longeron. To be effective you need to narrow your rear seat back and bottom so the guy in the third seat can put his legs past the guy in the back seat. The third seat can be set up with cushions to be more comfotable. As far as weight, I have a friend that used to haul razor clams from Polly creek in 100lb bags. The standard load was 8 bags. One day his partner tried 11. Got off after a 1/2 mile run down the beach and made it to town. When he got back he said 8 was about right. Crash

I understand this STC is for PA-18-150. I have a PA18-125 with 150 HP 0-320. Any field approvals? Suggestions?? Is it cut and dry...can't do the mod?

I jumped the gun and bought one from him last week even though I'm uncertain if I can really use it, legally. Haven't received it in the mail yet but Ron did say it applies to -150's but I'm hoping a can get an approval for my -125 since I have a 150 hp.

I have the third seat in my cub, and its a 150 h.p. Crash I am amazed your friend could haul that kind of weight.

Bill

.......say it applies to -150's ...... I have a 150 hp.

huh?

then you have what you need..... I would think...

at most you would just need a field approval for a deviation...

but heck I think you are golden if I understand what you are asking....

I understand this STC is for PA-18-150. I have a PA18-125 with 150 HP 0-320. Any field approvals? Suggestions?? Is it cut and dry...can't do the mod?

Mine was originally a PA-18-135 and had the engine changed to a 150/160 along with the 1750 gross weight upgrade. It has both the old M.R. Borer 3rd seat STC and the Borer gross weight increase STC.installed in the 70's.

Mine was originally a PA-18-135 and had the engine changed to a 150/160 along with the 1750 gross weight upgrade. It has both the old M.R. Borer 3rd seat STC and the Borer gross weight increase STC.installed in the 70's.

This is what I was looking for. That you.

I am building a 4" widebody airframe and I still don't find any info about this 3rd seat mod consist about... Can anybody help me with that plz. Thanks Jeff

I've always thought the third seat was like hauling someone in the trunk of your car. You can do it, but...

I've always thought the third seat was like hauling someone in the trunk of your car. You can do it, but...
Riding in the trunk of a car would be much more comfortable. There isn't much to see in the installation. A couple of seat belt attach points, and a narrow 2nd seat back (so the 3rd seat pax can get his legs around it). There is no actual 3rd seat per se. In order to get someone back there, you'd need to remove the 2nd seat and cross bar and have them slither back into position so you could re install the cross bar and rear seat. I don't know any adults limber (or small) enough to ride back there. Getting out quickly would be nearly impossible. I've seen old pictures of people riding in the third seat, but not in real life.

There's another thread on here which thoroughly discusses the third seat mod, including pictures from Steve Pierce.

Do a search.

MTV

After seeing the third seat design in the Backcountry Super Cub, Revision 2, including the huge baggage door for access, trying to cram somebody into the back of a stock Cub is going to feel even more painful than it used to! ;-)

IMG_3120.jpg

For anyone interested, here's the portion of Bruce's video discussing their back seat design. It's a really slick concept!

Attachments

• IMG_3120.jpg
    IMG_3120.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 183
Back